If you’ve ever wondered what it’s like to start your own law firm, then this episode of Beyond Billables is for you. Mike sits down to talk to lawyer and good friend, Barry Spinks, to get his take on all things entrepreneurial. Barry is a partner at Spinks Eagle, a family man and a Brazilian jiu jitsu blue belt. He has had a fantastic journey so far, one that has taken him all over Australia and given him plenty of experience, and plenty of highly valuable advice.
Barry discusses things like how he made partner, taking the leap to begin running his own firm, the skills lawyers need to keep great clients, and how to maintain a balanced work and home life. Barry is an inspiration to professionals in every stage of their career, and his journey serves as a great reminder of the importance of removing your limitations and taking advantage of opportunities when they present themselves.
Listen to the podcast to hear more on the above, as well as:
- How Barry turned his lack of guidance and structure into positive outcomes
- Why you sometimes just have to turn up, robe up and give it a red-hot go
- The characteristics Barry looks for in graduates who have applied to work for his practice
- The benefits of having no limitations or expectations, and why you should believe you can do anything
- Barry’s tips on dealing with intense pressure
- The importance of going off the grid and unplugging your phone
- Why you don’t always need to take risks to gain successes
- How to be health conscious on a time-budget, and why you should make exercise a habit
- The biggest struggles Barry found while building his practice, and the most rewarding thing he’s gotten from his career
- Life lessons he’d give to his 18-year-old self, plus the riskiest thing he’s ever done