Are you looking for a way to change direction? This can be difficult if you’re entrenched in a law career or specialisation. Difficult but not impossible, and today’s guest is a brilliant example of changing course.
In this episode of the Beyond Billables Podcast, we talk with Mark Allen. Mark is a corporate and commercial lawyer with 30 years experience, as well as the founder of Allen Legal Ltd. On top of that, he’s the Director of South Western Sydney Primary Health Network Limited and the executive chairman of the Sydney Film School.
Mark is a mentor, a business owner and has a finely tuned legal mind. Most interestingly though, he decided to throw out playbook after 30 years at a big firm and start his own practice. A radical change after a relatively traditional career.
In our wide-ranging conversation, we also discuss things like:
- Why it’s is so important to evolve (and grow) as a legal professional
- The parts of legal work that technology will not be able to overtake
- Common mistakes clients make and what to do about them
- Some of the unexpected places Mark’s clients have taken him
- How partnership tracks have changed
- How to approach a work-life balance in the 21st century
- Mark’s involvement with the film industry
- Stress, and how being authentic about it is a good first step when tackling it
- The realities of life at a big law firm
- The experience/responsibilities of being a managing partner