Have you ever wanted to make a big transition in your career? What about moving abroad and experiencing something new? In today’s episode of Beyond Billables, we talk to someone who’s checked both of those boxes.
Meet Jon Karolczak, client director at Priori Legal and an Australian who left traditional legal practice for a tech startup in New York City. Jon was a Senior Corporate Attorney at MinterEllison in Australia, practising in corporate bankruptcy, business restructuring, and commercial litigation before he took the plunge and moved abroad. In this episode, we traced his journey, talked about how he overcame difficulties (including a risk-averse mindset), faced his fears, enjoyed innumerable benefits and ultimately found his niche.
Listen to the full episode to hear all this, plus things like:
- What brought Jon to New York
- The comparative advantages of startups vs big corporates
- The benefits of experimentation
- The value of being a continual learner
- The keys to successfully transitioning from a law firm to a startup
- The differences between US-Australian legal service markets
- What excites Jon about the future
- Why the relational nature of legal practice still matters so much
- The key to taking big leaps in life
- The unseen benefits of personal sacrifice