If you’re interested in what the future of the legal industry looks like, you’ll not want to miss this episode of the Beyond Billables podcast. In this show, we had the great pleasure of catching up with Dominic Woolrych. Dom is CEO of LawPath, Australia’s largest and fastest growing online legal platform. He is also a thought leader in Australian legal disruption and was recently recognised as a winner of the Australian Legal Innovation Index. And the superlatives don’t end there.
Dom is also the founder of the OnDemand Training Group, which offers training for the ‘On Demand’ economy in 10+ cities across Australia and New Zealand. Before teaming up with LawPath, Dom earned his stripes as a corporate attorney at Minter Ellison Lawyers, Australia and also spent time at the Public Interest Advocacy Centre (PIAC). Dom’s work is on the cutting edge of legal tech. He’s a great person to speak with in terms of understanding where the industry is – and more importantly – where it’s going.
In this episode, we talk about…
- The difficulty in changing tact or pivoting if you get too far down a certain career trajectory
- The state of legal tech in Australia, and how LawPath has modeled itself off of companies based in the U.S.
- How a legal education need not confine someone to practising law
- How technology is forcing law firms to rethink their business models, increasing internal efficiency and improving client communication/engagement
- Upskilling yourself and why you don’t need to be an engineer to work in legal tech
- The growth of the LawPath platform and the market shifts that have occurred as a result of that
- The benefits of a completely online platform for both clients and attorneys
- The critical importance of good online client reviews for attorneys wishing to grow their practices
- The difference between a legal services company and a law firm, and how this benefits LawPath
- The future integration of business services (alongside legal) into one seamless client experience